Director of Sales, Optical Systems
Company: IDEX Corporation
Posted on: September 14, 2023
If you're looking for a special place to build or grow your
career, you've found it. Whether you're an experienced
professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between,
IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn
new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales,
supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40
the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
JOB TITLE: Director of Sales, Optical Systems
REPORTS TO: VP Sales & Marketing
LOCATION: Anywhere in US; Role can be remote/home based
These positions may require lawful access to ITAR/EAR controlled
information and employees in this role will need to meet those
requirements. Requirements include US Citizenship or US Permanent
Who is IDEX Health & Science (IH&S)?
IDEX Health & Science, Life Science Optics - based in Rochester,
New York -IDEX Health & Science's line of products is comprised of
a Light Sources Group and an Optical Systems Group. The Light
Sources Group manufactures a variety of visible, low to moderate
power lasers and laser-based systems uniquely designed for
consistent performance. The Light Sources Group offers three basic
types of lasers: gas (helium-neon and ion lasers), diode-pumped
solid-state (DPSS) lasers, and semiconductor diode laser
assemblies. The Optical Systems Group provides the design,
prototype and low to mid volume manufacturing of custom lens
assemblies and optical systems. The Optical Systems Group also
specializes in the design of reliable shutter mechanisms and
Our formula for success is simple. We work hard to maintain a
culture where you can own your work; you are encouraged to try new
ideas in a collaborative environment; and you can apply your
skillset to enable our clients to gain a competitive advantage in
their own market. At IDEX Health & Science, you have the
opportunity to work with a great team of people, mentor others, and
build a great future.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The Director of Sales, Optical Systems is responsible for sales
strategy, execution, and performance in our Life Science Optical
Systems business. She/he will provide the leadership, strategic
vision and functional expertise required to effectively lead the NA
based sales team in Life Science Optical Systems. As a player/coach
she/he will develop and deploy strategies to achieve sustainable,
The individual in this role will be accountable for driving
sustained profitable sales growth for the Optical Systems business,
while exploring and cultivating new accounts in IH&S-identified
strategic markets. This leader must have deep knowledge of
technologies and applications in the Life Sciences / Biotech market
(i.e next generation sequencing, PCR, spatial profiling, DNA
synthesis, and common molecular biology method).
A significant part of the role will be devoted to prospecting and
developing new accounts in strategic markets by guiding new/initial
projects to the point of production, and then handing them over to
their respective Account Manager.
- Strategic Sales Planning for Optical Systems
- Develop a "Top-Down" global sales channel strategy that defines
SWOT for the Direct OEM, Direct End-User, and Third-Party
Distributor/Representative/VAR channels and rationalize results
into a well-documented, articulated plan with implementation
milestones and timeframes.
- Working with RSM's and Product Line Managers (PLM's), validate
"Top-Down" SWOT through building a "Bottoms-Up" global sales
channel strategy model based on current-state business/market
- Analyze SWOT output to develop the following Sales Channel
programs to optimize resource efficiencies for the IH&S global
- RSM technical /product/applications skills and training
- RSM business/relationship/communication skills and training
- Review Distributor/Representative/VAR channel strategy,
geographic distribution of global channel, and develop strategy for
potential rationalization of such sales channel activities
- Consider the potential application of volume discount tiers,
rebate schemes, or other pricing optimization strategies that may
be needed to support the sales strategy.
- Develop a consistent framework for the identification of
"Target 80s," those accounts with minimal current revenue, but
require additional attention or support because they are judged to
be future 80s. What are the criteria for designating them as Target
accounts, what business processes need to be optimized to best
- Consistent Year-over-Year Sales Growth
- Existing products into existing markets and applications
- New products into existing markets and applications
- New products for new markets and applications.
- Customer Service
- Definition, training, and deployment of critical customer
- Regular review with IH&S Sr. Management of key KPI's (Key
Process Indicators) - Quality index, OTD index, RMA Warranty
Returns index, competitive landscape and pricing/value
- Customer Retention
- Development of Operational Excellence programs to leverage our
LEAN/VSM/BVVSM activities to strengthen account relationships.
- Assess, discuss with IH&S Sr. Management, and then
implement customer loyalty program to reward long-term consistent
strategic customers who are viewed as partners through additional
special discounts and/or rewards as compared to standard
customer/market pricing models.
- New Customer Identification and Engagement
- Develop strategy with marketing for sales channel activities to
explore new customer and market opportunities and provide strategic
feedback to IH&S marketing
- Training of direct sales resources to quickly assess and
characterize potential new customers efficiently through the
technology/product/application qualification process
- Develop process for direct sales resources to foster strong
teamwork with IH&S company marketing, engineering, and
operations resources to assess and engage emerging customers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering required.
- Advanced technical or business degree desirable.
- A minimum 8 years of progressive experience and responsibility
in sales, marketing and /or product management in life sciences
- Experience in B2B sales with precision engineered products that
have long product development sales cycles (18-24 months).
- A minimum of 3 years as a Sales Manager responsible for direct
sales team members.
- Experience in optics/photonics and imaging or life sciences
- Proven experience identifying rapid changes and trends within
the life sciences and/or biotech industry, or with knowledge of
optics, imaging, and instrumentation.
- Excellent customer and internal stakeholder relations skills
and a proven record of results with increasing annual sales,
managing complex multi-level business-to-business contract
negotiations (Volume Purchase Agreements, Joint Product Development
Agreements, Joint Venture Sales and Marketing Agreements).
- Proven experience defining, developing, executing and
negotiating multi-million dollar / multi-year contracts with large
- Humility : wants credit to go to the team. Not afraid to ask
for help and seek guidance. Receives criticism with grace, willing
to change direction when presented with a better solution.
- Customer focus: Dedicated to meeting expectations of internal
and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and
uses for improvements; oriented to solving customer challenges;
establishes and maintains relationships, gains trust &
- Builds effective Teams : Proven ability to develop and inspire
high performing teams that are focused on execution and meeting the
financial, operational & people objectives. Able to telescope from
senior customer/executive interactions to resolving operational
issues. A hands-on leader who leads by example and inspires others,
at all levels to strive for success and excellence.
- Strategic thinker : Grasps complex issues. Assimilates info
quickly, does not get overwhelmed when needing to move fast from
one topic to another. Develops clear strategies and translates to
specific actions to execute. Experience turning market data into
strategic plans for growth. A thorough understanding of P&L
financial reporting and internal functional responsibilities
- Growth mindset with a proactive drive for results:
Action-oriented, focused on producing good outcomes. Can be counted
on to exceed goals; consistently a top performer. Focused on the
things that matter most. An anticipatory style with a track record
of changing outcomes. Well organized - ability to address strategic
vision for the long-term while driving tactical issues in the
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- A thorough understanding of P&L financial reporting and
internal functional responsibilities required.
- The individual must have the ability to collaborate with
internal company stakeholders in other functional areas.
- Well organized - ability to address strategic vision for the
long-term while driving tactical issues in the short-term.
- Must possess high-energy, a driven-to-succeed attitude, and
proactive mindset and sense of ownership in working.
- Must be able to prepare and professionally articulate
presentations, legal contracts, and joint strategic planning
documents with senior level executives of worldwide multi-national
instrument companies and start-ups alike.
- Must be comfortable working under pressure.
- Able to travel via automobile, airplane, train, or bus, both
domestic and international. Travel may include multiple week trips.
Ability to travel approximately 50%.
- Proficient in using electronic devices such as mobile phones,
smartphones, and computer equipment.
- Intermediate to advanced personal computer skills.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English
across many facets of the business. Secondary and/or tertiary
language skills preferred.
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people,
our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing
trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action
Employer. IDEX gives consideration for employment to qualified
applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, genetic
information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, marital status, age, national origin, disability,
protected veteran status, or any other consideration or protected
category made unlawful by federal, state or local laws
Attention Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability
and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the
application process, please let us know. Likewise, if you are
limited in the ability to access or use this online application
process and need an alternative method for applying, we will
determine an alternate way for you to apply. Please contact our
Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
with an accommodation. These contact tools may be used only by
individuals with a disability for accommodation requests. Do not
inquire as to the status of an application.
Job Family: Sales
Business Unit: IH&S (West Henrietta COE)
Keywords: IDEX Corporation, Bristol , Director of Sales, Optical Systems, Sales , Bristol, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!