Safety Program Coordinator (Bristol EfW Facility)
Company: Disability Solutions
Posted on: September 16, 2023
Join us in creating a sustainable future and becoming a
protector of tomorrow!Reporting to the Facility Manager and the
Regional Safety Manager, the Safety Program Coordinator will have a
varying range of responsibilities depending on the size and
complexity of the plant, number of employees and projects assigned.
The role will span strategic, tactical, and transformational safety
and health management activities. As the Safety Program
Coordinator, you will be responsible for overseeing regulatory
compliance, training and implementation of Covanta's safety
policies, accident investigation and documentation, OSHA VPP
efforts, and management of the other safety program initiatives
(and Transfer Station's DOT Driver's Program, where it applies). In
addition to managing the facility's safety program, the Safety
Program Coordinator will oversee the employee training program, and
assist with the daily execution of the facility safety and health
activities (Transfer Station, Public Unloading Facility and Upper
Lot Recycle operation, when it applies).The Safety Program
Coordinator will also be called upon to contribute to the broader
facility management team and provide leadership to process
improvement and best practice deployment, demonstrating the right
values and behaviors with high emotional intelligence in working
with a disbursed stakeholder base, often on critical schedule
projects. You may be asked to help mentor or assist other SPM-1s at
other locations or to help develop and implement corporate
- Actively lead in the management of the facility's health and
safety programs, processes and policies.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to safety and health
- Monitor regulatory compliance, compliance with Covanta safety
program requirements, accident investigation and documentation,
OSHA VPP efforts, and safety training.
- Implement, motivate, educate and enforce Covanta's safety and
- Manage the safety training program and ensure training is
completed on applicable safety bulletins, memos, Safety Alerts,
safety and health procedures/programs, etc.
- With facility management, oversee contractor safety and health
performance. Ensure contractors are properly trained, use
appropriate tools and equipment and protect all employees from
- Continually monitor the performance and effectiveness of the
facility safety program and implement adjustments and improvement
- Manage all aspects of our safety reporting and maintain the
facility safety and health records.
- Actively monitor work safety in the field on a very frequent
basis. Conduct formal and informal safety reviews and follow-up
reporting. When necessary, stop potential unsafe behaviors in the
field when observed and coach employees on the proper method. Also
provide positive recognition for safe behaviors.
- Work with plant personnel to secure accident scenes when
appropriate, ensure the medical treatment of affected employee
and/or contract employee, and investigate near miss, first aid,
recordable injuries, on site vehicle incidents or incidents related
to plant vehicles, and general safety concerns. Assist/Coordinate
recommendations for corrective actions and track to completion.
Manage accident investigations, root cause analyses, and related
- Manage the Department of Transportation (DOT) Program for Site
and Over-the-Road drivers if applicable.
- Work with plant personnel and contractors to assure fire system
inspection, testing, and functionality.
- Primary contact with the plant's health clinic. Schedule annual
physical exams, hearing tests, and/or respirator evaluations.
- Contribute to improvements in lean, Six Sigma and other
quantitative and qualitative approaches to drive workplace process
improvements.Position Requirements: Candidate should have a
Bachelor's Degree (ideally in a safety and health or
science-related area) coupled with 3-5 years Health & Safety
experience with a working knowledge of OSHA 1910 and 1926, or
related state safety and health regulations. In addition to
Occupational Health and Safety, desired experience to include
knowledge of operations and maintenance in an industrial
environment.Critical Skills and Abilities:
- Self-directed, action-oriented, forward-thinking and creative
individual with high ethical standards.
- Dynamic leader with a record of achieving results individually
and through others.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to provide
constructive feedback in a positive way.
- Strong analytical ability, good judgment and strong safety and
- Ability to work cross functionally with peers and other company
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently, and build
- Organized, team player who is an effective influencer.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change in the face of adversity;
to challenge the status quo constructively.
- Articulate, strong communicator, verbal and written.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Willing to work evenings and weekends on a non-routine basis if
needed to support facility operations.
- Able to stand or sit for sustained periods of time. Able to
climb stairs and ladders; able to work at heights.
- Able to lift equipment that can weigh up to 25 pounds on an
infrequent basis. May need to wear personal protective equipment
including respiratory protection which requires a tight fitting
mask that does not allow any facial hair in the face-sealing areas,
fall protection, safety boots, protective clothing, hearing
protection, and gloves.The following functional competency levels
are required for this position:
- Analytical Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Coaching & Influencing
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Accident investigation and corrective action development
- Experience in an operating environment
- Technical and skills training
- Safety and Health Audits / Assessments
- Contractor Safety and Health Management
- Written and oral communicationCovanta is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or
protected veteran status.EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran
Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at
). Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the
applicant's experience or skills.If you are a qualified individual
with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a
reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your
ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a
result of your disability. You can request reasonable
accommodations by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Disability Solutions, Bristol , Safety Program Coordinator (Bristol EfW Facility), Other , Bristol, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!